South Dennis in Barnstable County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
History of the South Dennis Railroad Depot
Cape Cod Branch of Old Colony Railroad introduced. It began in Middleborough Four Corners and stopped in Sandwich, uniting with the Fall River Railroad in Middleborough.
The Old Colony Railroad’s Cape Cod branch opens. These trains were primarily used to serve the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company. Trains carried fish, sand, lumber and glass.
Official opening of the Cape Cod Central Railroad to public travel. The Central train started off in the charge of Conductor Nye. Consequently, the 28 year old horse coach service ceased due to the railroad.
1872 – 74
The commodious South Dennis Depot is constructed to appease a want long felt by the community. The railroad leading to Provincetown is completed.
1874 - 80
The pressing demands of travel induced Capt. Frederick Nickerson, the station agent, to erect the Riverview Hotel. Mr. James F. Eldridge later took charge of the South Dennis Railroad Station.
As business declined due to the global economic turmoil of the30’s the shuttle went only from Yarmouth to Provincetown.
1938 – 49
Sadly, passenger service to the Lower Cape was abandoned and eventually passenger service to Cape Cod was cut off entirely.
Train to Provincetown was restricted to summer only “Cranberry Special” with a bright red diesel engine.
Tracts to Provincetown removed under NY, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. The southern part of the road right of away hosted the Cape Cod Rail Trail for 22 miles from South Dennis to Wellfleet.
The rich history of the Cape Cod railroad reaches as far back as the year 1846 and remembering what is left of it has so much to offer. It helps our community understand the valuable information about life on Cape Cod through the ages. Did you know that where you stand is the location of the old South Dennis Train Depot? In its prime, large groups of people would be waiting for an inbound passenger or to board their train to Boston. This site is a part of local history and the Historical Commission of the Town of Dennis wanted to help preserve this part of our history for you and generations to come. In the 19th century, the train revolutionized transportation in the United States and
The trains running up and down the Cape Cod railroad during the late 1800’s gained popularity from their frequent passengers. When the trains first began arriving on Cape Cod they did not haul passenger cars and would primarily bring out glass, fish, or lumber. The South Dennis Depot was a very popular stop on this railroad and the pictures shown on this sign are dated back to the first half of the 20th century. During this time the railroad and the pictures shown on this sign are dated back to the first half of the 20th century. During this time the railroad was towards the end of its peak. Air conditioned passenger cars might have been introduced in the 1930’s, but the railroad would soon be closed to passengers.
Designed by P.K. Corbett
Erected by Town of Dennis Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 41° 41.432′ N, 70° 9.435′ W. Marker is in South Dennis, Massachusetts, in Barnstable County. Marker can be reached from Old Bass River Road south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south . The marker is located at the Cape Cod Rail Trail Dennis Trailhead. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Dennis MA 02660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old South Dennis Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); South Dennis Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Dennis September 11, 2001 Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Barnstable County 9/11 Tribute (approx. 1.6 miles away); Marine Corps League (approx. 2.1 miles away); Joseph A. Merrill, U.S.M.C. (approx. 2.1 miles away); Duty-Honor-Country (approx. 2.2 miles away); For God And Country (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.