Near Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Don Joaquin/Procella Crossing
Responding to rumors of French trade activity in Spanish Texas, Don Joaquin de Orobio y Basterra, Captain of Presidio La Bahía, led soldiers on a reconnaissance mission in 1745-46. Encountering Nabedache, Bidai and Orcoquizac settlements, Orobio sought their help to locate a supposed French settlement. From Nacogdoches in Feb. 1746, an Indian guide led Orobio and his men to the site close to the Trinity river. A ford of the Angelina river, part of a network of Bidai trails, was named Don Joaquin crossing in several Spanish documents and maps, as early as 1792. By the mid-1800s, the site was called Procella Crossing after a nearby creek and community. In use across centuries of changing governance and transportation, the crossing remains an important part of East Texas history and geography.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration.
Location. 31° 26.865′ N, 94° 43.563′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vicente Micheli (here, next to this marker); Redland Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Walker Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Gann Memorial Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Central Consolidated School (approx. 5.2 miles away); Angelina & Neches River Railroad (approx. 5½ miles away); Berry Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Regarding Don Joaquin/Procella Crossing.
The previous Texas Historical Commission marker from 1979, no. 6990, had the following text:
Used by Indians, explorers, traders and missionaries, this trail ran from Bedias Indian camps on the lower Trinity River to Spanish missions near Nacogdoches. Don Joaquin de Orobio y Basterra, captain of the presidio at La Bahia (present Goliad), led reconnaissance troops along the trail in 1746 and gave his name to the Angelina River crossing. Italian-born trader Vicente Michili owned a large ranch near the crossing before 1800. Bedias Trail was important in Angelina County's development. Railroads and major highways later followed the
Also see . . .
1. Presidio La Bahia. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Orcoquiza Indians. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on November 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.