Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sebewaing in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

John C. Liken / John C. Martini House

 
 
John C. Liken Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
1. John C. Liken Marker
Inscription.  
John C. Liken
One of Sebewaing’s most prominent citizens, John C. Liken (1832-1920), came here in 1865 from New York State where he owned a cooperage. Lured by Michigan’s bountiful forests, he opened stave and sawmills in Sebewaing, Unionville, Akron, and Fairgrove. His firm, John C. Liken and Company, dealt in a variety of commodities that the company’s fleet of ships transported to Bay City and markets in New York. In 1874 Liken built a downtown commercial block with four storefronts. The town’s first telephone line, installed in 1883, connected the store with Liken’s flour mill and depot, and in 1901 the company received a ten-year contract for supplying the town with electric power generated at the mill. In 1913 Liken’s son-in-law Richard Martini took over the business.

John C. Martini House
Sebewaing businessman John C. Liken built five houses, one for each of his children. Constructed in 1890-95, in the fashionable Stick Style, this house remains the only historically intact structure associated with Liken, one of Sebewaing’s most prominent citizens. Liken intended this house
John C. Martini House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
2. John C. Martini House Marker
for his daughter Mary and his son-in-law and business partner, Richard Martini, but the Martinis never lived here. Instead, their oldest child John C. Martini (1878-1974) moved into the house with his wife, Tillie Kemp, in 1909. John C. Liken retired in 1913, leaving control of the business to the Martinis. Richard became president and John succeeded him. The Liken and Martini families were integral to Sebewaing’s development.
 
Erected 2007 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2187.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 43.808′ N, 83° 26.604′ W. Marker is in Sebewaing, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker is on East Main Street 0.1 miles from South Beck Street (State Route 25), on the right when traveling east. Next door to the Medallion Village Assisted Living facility. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 684 E Main St, Sebewaing MI 48759, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Indian Mission (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sebewaing Township Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Great Fire of 1881 (approx. 7.1 miles
The Historical Marker and John C. Martini House image. Click for full size.
By John Garman, June 28, 2020
3. The Historical Marker and John C. Martini House
away); Owendale (approx. 8.9 miles away); Bay Port Fishing District (approx. 9.1 miles away); Stagecoaches (approx. 9.1 miles away); Gagetown (approx. 11 miles away); Pigeon Depot (approx. 11 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sebewaing.
 
Additional comments.
1. The John C. Martini House
The Martini House is currently a private residence not open to the public.
    — Submitted November 23, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021