Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Owendale in Huron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Owendale

 
 
Owendale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
1. Owendale Marker
Inscription.  In 1882, as three new railroads began to lay track in Huron County, two cousins from Saginaw, John G. and John S. Owen, bought land in the Columbia Swamp. The following year, they opened a sawmill to harvest the native oak. John G. Owen hired Quincy Thomas, a civil engineer, to survey a town site in 1887. The streets, alleys and parks were dedicated to the public for their perpetual use, and the village was named Owendale. The sawmill burned in 1896, and the Owendale area turned from lumbering to agriculture.
 
Erected 1976 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L383.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 43° 43.735′ N, 83° 15.951′ W. Marker is in Owendale, Michigan, in Huron County. Marker is on Main Street 0.6 miles east of South Caseville Road, on the right when traveling east. Located in Owendale
Owendale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
2. Owendale Marker
A view from Owendale Village Park with the Owendale Gagetown High School in the background.
Village Park, on the south side of Main Street, between 2nd and 3rd Streets, across the street from the Owendale Gagetown High School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3569 3rd St, Owendale MI 48754, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gagetown (approx. 5.1 miles away); Pigeon Depot (approx. 6.9 miles away); Great Fire of 1881 (approx. 8.4 miles away); The Indian Mission (approx. 8.8 miles away); John C. Liken / John C. Martini House (approx. 8.9 miles away); Sebewaing Township Hall (approx. 9.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Elkland Township Hall (approx. 9.9 miles away).
 
A view looking west from Owendale Village Park towards the downtown district of Owendale image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Garman, June 28, 2020
3. A view looking west from Owendale Village Park towards the downtown district of Owendale
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 28, 2021