Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Immanuel Baptist Church

 
 
Immanuel Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 22, 2020
1. Immanuel Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1910, following a revival service, a group of area residents organized Immanuel Baptist Church. The members started the church to serve Baptists in the rapidly-growing north section of San Angelo. The charter members met in a home before soon constructing a building at the intersection of 19th and Volney Streets. To accommodate growth, members erected a new structure in 1915. Additions were made in 1932, 1937 and 1945. In 1953, the congregation moved to a new building at 14th and Oakes Streets. A 1981 fire destroyed the church's educational building and damaged the sanctuary; the congregation moved back after finishing repairs in 1982.

Since its organization, Immanuel Baptist Church has been active in reaching out to the community. The congregation has offered after school programs, provided goods and care to the poor and elderly, and opened a clothing outlet and a bread distribution ministry. Members have also focused on ministries for women and the homebound.

Immanuel Baptist Church has prioritized local and foreign missions. Members organized the Lakeview Baptist Missions and the Harris Avenue Mission; both became
Immanuel Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 22, 2020
2. Immanuel Baptist Church
churches. Members have also been active in sponsoring missionaries in foreign countries, such as Madagascar, Thailand and Japan. Today celebrating a century of service to the community, Immanuel Baptist Church continues to serve as a beacon of light in San Angelo and abroad.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15969.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 31° 28.576′ N, 100° 26.518′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of East 14th Street and North Oakes Street, on the right when traveling west on East 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 East 14th Street, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guadalupe Elementary School (approx. half a mile away); Site of Cornick Bungalows (approx. 0.6 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); The San Angelo Standard (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of San Angelo (approx. 0.9 miles away); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away); Charles B. Metcalfe (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021