Texarkana in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. James Episcopal Church
Local Episcopalians met on Oct. 30, 1876, at the Marquand Hotel to organize this congregation. The first parish meeting was held April 2, 1877. Citizens of all faiths contributed funds for the first church building, erected on property donated by the Texas & Pacific Railroad. A second edifice, built in 1893-94, was altered and enlarged in 1910 and 1926. St. James has established or supported at least seven other churches in this area. This parish pioneered in aid to the elderly and other community services.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9509.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 2, 1877.
Location. 33° 25.471′ N, 94° 2.616′ W. Marker is in Texarkana, Texas, in Bowie County. Marker is at the intersection of Olive Street and West 5th Street, on the left when traveling north on Olive Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 Olive Street, Texarkana TX 75501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United States Post Office and Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured Texarkana (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Bowie (approx. 0.4 miles away); Scott Joplin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rose Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Martha Adams Runnels (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texarkana.
Also see . . . Texarkana Churches. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.