Marshall in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rosenwald School in Rectortown, "12"
In 1912, Booker T. Washington, head of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, asked Julius Rosenwald, a Jewish Philanthropist and President of Sears, Roebuck & Company, to serve on the Board of Directors at Tuskegee. Their unique partnership led to the creation of the Rosenwald Fund to support the education of African-American children in the rural South. There were 382 Rosenwald schools built in Virginia between 1917 and 1932. Eight such schools in Fauquier County offered a quality education to untold numbers of African-Americans.
Mr. George W. Bannister and his wife, Addie, Rectortown residents, provided the land for the original No. 12 school at this site. Mr. Rosenwald wanted to provide seed money to encourage community support for a new and improved No.12. This new school was built in 1924 at a cost of $4,500. It was funded in three parts: the Black contribution — $800, public contribution — $3,000 and Rosenwald contribution — $700.
The growth and population in the 1950s necessitated a third classroom. The teachers, Miss L.E. Washington, Miss C.E. Lewis, and Mrs. Eura H. Lewis, taught grades 1-7 in this three room school. A retainer wall and its steps remain as a monument to No. 12. They were constructed in 1959 by a former pupil, Reginald Tines.
The No. 12 was closed in 1963 for the opening of the Northwestern Elementary School, later known as the Claude Thompson Elementary School.
Erected 2020 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, African-American Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Rosenwald Schools 🎓 series list.
Location. 38° 54.619′ N, 77° 50.833′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is on Rectortown Road (Route 710) 0.3 miles north of Frogtown Road (Virginia Route 702). The marker is on the grounds of the Claude Thompson Elementary School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3299 Rectortown Rd, Marshall VA 20115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rectortown (approx. 1.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Number 18 School (approx. 3 miles away); Mosby’s Rangers Disband (approx. 3 miles away); McClellan Relieved From Command (approx. 3.1 miles away); Salem (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mosby’s Rangers Disband Site (approx. 3.2 miles away); Campaign of Second Manassas (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
More about this marker. The marker conceived and funded by the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation with support from the African-American Historical Association.
Regarding The Rosenwald School in Rectortown, "12". This is the site of a Rosenwald school, one of over 5,300 funded by Jewish philanthropist Julius Rosenwald working with Black educator Booker T. Washington with community support. The Rosenwald school projects, in the 13 states of the South, provided educational opportunities to Black American children who had been denied educational opportunities. Rosenwald's efforts affected the lives and futures of millions of Black Americans.
Additional keywords. Julius Rosenwald, Booker T. Washington, Jewish, Black education, Rosenwald Foundation, Jewish American History
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 3 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 26, 2020, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A close up, readable photo of the marker. • Verification of the exact location of the marker. • Can you help?