Little Rock in Pulaski County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Historic Architecture and Landscapes
A clipped boxwood parterre lines the front walk, each section filled with seasonal flowers and bulbs. (A parterre is a garden with low shrubs and flowers planted in a geometrical pattern.) Mixed flowering shrubs and bulbs define the outer boundaries, with a grass lawn between. The heirloom and native shrubs bloom at different seasons, many also having colorful fall foliage and berries. Crêpe myrtle allees define the east and west sides of the house.
The Marjem Ward Jackson
This program was made possible in part by a grant from the Department of Arkansas Heritage, funded by your 1/8 cent conservation tax. Amendment 75.
Erected by University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture, and Department of Arkansas Heritage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work.
Location. 34° 44.583′ N, 92° 15.872′ W. Marker is in Little Rock, Arkansas, in Pulaski County. Marker can be reached from East Capitol Avenue just east of Sherman Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located along the entrance walkway, directly in front of Curran Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 615 East Capitol Avenue, Little Rock AR 72202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Tuf-Nut Lofts (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Quapaw Line (approx. 0.3 miles away); Augustus Hill Garland (approx. 0.3 miles away); Porbeck & Bowman Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Concordia Hall and Jewish Life in Little Rock (approx. 0.3 miles away); Geyer & Adams Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Arsenal Crisis (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Little Rock Arsenal (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little Rock.
Regarding Curran Hall. National Register of Historic Places #76000453. Also a contributing property in the MacArthur Park Historic District, NRHP #77000269.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Curran Hall. Conveniently located in downtown Little Rock, Historic Curran Hall, built in 1842, is the city’s only antebellum home open daily to the public. It houses the official Little Rock Visitor Information Center and is the Mayor’s Reception Hall. (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Little Rock's Official Visitor Center is open seven days a week!. Curran Hall was built in 1842 by Colonel Ebenezer Walters as a wedding gift for his bride, Mary Eliza Starbuck. Over the years, Curran Hall has been home to a number of families who were instrumental in the development of Little (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Curran Hall (Wikipedia). The house is significant as one of the few remaining antebellum era landmarks in Little Rock. It served as the home of pre-Civil war Arkansas Supreme Court Justice George Watkins. Jacob Frolich purchased the home after the war, who would become a post-reconstruction Arkansas Secretary of State. Before that, however, Frolich, an opponent of the reconstruction Arkansas government and fearful of reprisals, fortified Curran Hall with trap doors and placed his livestock inside the house at night. (Submitted on November 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.