Near Pittsburg in Camp County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
New Mine Baptist Church
This congregation traces its history to 1892 when Mr. and Mrs. G.O. Hart gave an acre of land for a new church building. The church was officially organized on September 11, 1892, and the Rev. J.H. Floyd served as the first pastor. One of the main reasons for the establishment of this congregation was so the members would not have to travel to Pittsburg for worship services. It has remained a small rural church, with various structures built over the years to accommodate the membership, which includes descendants of charter members.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9804.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 11, 1892.
Location. 32° 58.178′ N, 95° 0.588′ W. Marker is near Pittsburg, Texas, in Camp County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1519 and County Highway 3212, on the left when traveling east on Highway 1519. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1338 FM 1519, Pittsburg TX 75686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured New Mine Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Reeves Chapel (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Beulah Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Ezekiel Airship (approx. 2.8 miles away); Abernathy House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cotton Belt Depot (approx. 3 miles away); Shootout at the Pittsburg Depot (approx. 3 miles away); Stafford-Paris House (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.