Near Lovelady in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lovelady Evergreen Cemetery
This community cemetery dates to the 1870s when Lovelady was developing as a railroad center for the surrounding agricultural area. Land for the section known as Old Cemetery was conveyed to trustees of the Lovelady Cemetery Association in 1878 and in 1896. The first grave, that of Parham Bridges Baker (b.1876) is dated 1878. Another early grave is that of Catherine Adams, who also was buried that year. By 1885 there were approximately 20 graves in the cemetery. A good example of an early community graveyard, it is maintained by the Lovelady Evergreen Cemetery Association.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11235.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 8.144′ N, 95° 27.012′ W. Marker is near Lovelady, Texas, in Houston County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 19 0.1 miles north of Lovelady Road. The marker is located at the front gate of the Evergreen Cemetery across the railroad tracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lovelady TX 75851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Houston-Leon County Coal Company (approx. 2.3 miles away); Givens Homesite (approx. 9.8 miles away); Beeson-Box Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Albert Holley House (approx. 12.1 miles away); First National Bank of Crockett (approx. 12.6 miles away); Early Bank Building (approx. 12.6 miles away); The David Crockett Spring (approx. 12.6 miles away); Strode-Pritchett Log Cabin (approx. 12.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Lovelady Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on November 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.