Mount Hope in Fayette County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Mount Hope School History
Another room was added to the school in 1887, Following the opening of several coal mines in the area at the turn of the century, the school increased to six rooms.
Ten rooms and an auditorium were later added. After the school was lost in the fire of 1910, two separate schools were built, a twelve room grade school, auditorium, library and office and a brick high school with large class rooms, office and basement.
In 1917 a brick six room building known as Dubois School was constructed for use by the area’s African-American students, and in 1925 a beautiful brick building with twenty one rooms was built in the center of town as Mount Hope High School. In 1956 with integration Mount Hope and Dubois
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 37° 53.947′ N, 81° 9.452′ W. Marker is in Mount Hope, West Virginia, in Fayette County. Marker is on Main Street (West Virginia Route 211) 0.2 miles west of West Virginia Route 16, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Hope WV 25880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Hope Landmarks (here, next to this marker); Mount Hope Early Town History (here, next to this marker); Mount Hope Coal History (here, next to this marker); Dubois School History (here, next to this marker); DuBois High School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glen Jean Athletic Club (approx. 2 miles away); Glen Jean (approx. 2 miles away); Bank of Glen Jean (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Hope.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.