Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Leakey Methodist Church
In 1883 the Methodist congregation began meeting in a schoolhouse built in the newly established town of Leakey. By 1885 the schoolhouse was also the site of a church school known as the Floral Sabbath Sunday School supervised by Dr. F. D. Johns.
A town lot donated by J. B. and Fannie (Leakey) Johnson in 1890 was used by the Leakey Methodist Episcopal Church, South, to build its first sanctuary in 1890-91. The congregation met in the original sanctuary and later the county courthouse before building a new sanctuary at this site in 1922. The church became the Leakey Methodist Church in 1939. An education building was added in 1955 and a new parsonage in 1965.
Annual Easter sunrise services and hosting community Thanksgiving services every three years are traditional activities of the congregation. Leakey Methodist has historically supported many youth and
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3058.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 43.756′ N, 99° 45.737′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and 1st Street, on the left when traveling north on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 419 Market Street, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leakey School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leakey Church of Christ (about 600 feet away); John Leakey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Real County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Real County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Real County (approx. ¼ mile away); Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leakey.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.