Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Leakey Church of Christ

 
 
Leakey Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 28, 2020
1. Leakey Church of Christ Marker
Inscription.  Settlers began to arrive in the Frio Canyon in the mid-nineteenth century, and the population increased dramatically by the 1880s. Many of these settlers wanted a place to worship together as the Church of Christ. In the early years, Christians gathered for service in the homes of members, in schools, at the Edwards County courthouse, or under a brush arbor. Summer meetings included "dinner on the ground,” as tablecloths were spread on the grass at Youngblood Springs and members sat to eat and converse. Baptisms were conducted in the waters of the nearby Frio River.

In the early 1900s, the Church of Christ grew in membership and required a church home. In 1913, trustees S.T. Cooper, J.W. Dulaney and T.L. Brooks acquired two lots in the town of Leakey for the church and a frame building was erected. Inside were reflector lamps attached to each side-wall, pews throughout, and a cast-iron heater. Electricity was installed in 1928. In 1932, part of the property was surrendered to the State of Texas for the planned U.S. 83 highway through Leakey.

A new building, to replace the original structure, was built and included
Leakey Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, November 28, 2020
2. Leakey Church of Christ
a sanctuary, classrooms, restrooms, office and baptistery. However, many congregants continued to request baptism in the Frio River. The new building was dedicated on November 30, 1952, with church services. A minister's residence was constructed as well on a separate property.

Through missions, community outreach, and spiritual guidance, the Church of Christ of Leakey has flourished for over a century, an active reminder of the early history of Leakey and Real County.
 
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18678.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 29° 43.654′ N, 99° 45.721′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 83 and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 83. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 3rd Street, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Leakey (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Real County (about 500 feet away); Real County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Real County (about 600 feet away); Leakey Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Leakey School
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Leakey Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of McLaurin Massacre (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leakey.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021