Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodville in Tyler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville

 
 
John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
1. John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville Marker
Inscription.  

John Henry Kirby, son of John T. and Sarah Payne Kirby, was born in the village of Peachtree in North Tyler County, Texas, in 1860. A promising young student, he was encouraged to move to Woodville where he could attend schools with a more challenging curriculum.

Kirby married Lelia Stewart in 1883 and afterward joined the staff of Texas State Senator and Attorney Samuel Cooper. He gained admittance to the Texas Bar in 1885 and became Cooper's Law Partner. After helping Boston Investors form the Texas and Louisiana Land and Timber Company he formed his own Kirby Lumber Company in 1901. The company evolved into a regional economic powerhouse responsble for the creation of numerous lumbermill towns in Southeast Texas with more than 16,000 employees and covering more than a million acres of timberland. Kirby amassed a lumber empire and became known as the "Prince of the Pines".

Though immensely wealthy and a figure of national and state prominence, Kirby never forgot his Tyler County roots. Kirby's many philanthropic acts and gifts to churches, schools, parks, and organizations in East Texas included his donation of land
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and the funds to build "Kirby High School" at this site in 1928. The last Kirby High School class graduated in 1979.
 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11369.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 30° 46.733′ N, 94° 24.972′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is at the intersection of North Charlton Street and Kirby Drive, on the left when traveling north on North Charlton Street. The marker is located on the Northeast corner of the Woodville Intermediate School by the parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 North Charlton Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas Statesman Allan Shivers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tyler County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Woodville Academy and Woodville College (approx. ¼ mile away); Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (approx. ¼ mile away); Tyler County (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of James Edward Wheat (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rev. Acton Young
John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
2. John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Woodville Magnolia Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodville.
 
Also see . . .
1. John Henry Kirby. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

2. Lumber Industry. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 

3. Peach Tree Village. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Woodville Intermediate School with the marker in front. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
3. The Woodville Intermediate School with the marker in front.
Cornerstone of the original school. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, November 15, 2020
4. Cornerstone of the original school.
This site comprising two acres is a gift from Emily Adelia Stewart This building is a gift from Lelia Stewart Kirby and John Henry Kirby
John Henry Kirby image. Click for full size.
Public Domain, 1912
5. John Henry Kirby
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 1, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161357

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024