Louisville in Jefferson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Calvary Episcopal Church
This building was erected in two stages (1872-76, 1886-88) and is the product of two architects, W. H. Redin and Henry P. McDonald. One of only two cut stone spires in the United States caps the south tower. Calvary Episcopal Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, 1978.
Erected 1981 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1695.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
Location. 38° 14.601′ N, 85° 45.525′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 821 South 4th Street, Louisville KY 40203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Gym (within shouting distance of this marker); First Unitarian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Murray Atkins Walls Civil Rights Pioneer (about 400 feet away); Immanuel Baptist Church / First Christian-Lampton Baptist (about 400 feet away); George Denison Prentice (about 400 feet away); Presentation Academy (about 400 feet away); Seelbach-Parrish House (approx. ¼ mile away); Noted School Site (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Also see . . . Asset Detail | Calvary Episcopal Church (PDF). National Register of Historic Places registration and photographs. (Submitted on December 3, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. 3. submitted on December 3, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.