Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First State Bank of Livingston
Early State Bank of Texas. Organized in 1910 as Guaranty State Bank with H.D. Reynolds as the first President. L. F. Gerlach, second President operated one of city's best-known stores.
The descendants of J.L. Muller, third President, have served as leaders in the bank since 1910. Ollege Morrison, fourth President, owned Livingston Drug Company for many years.
Miss May Andress, daughter of S.J. Andress (an organizer of the bank), was on Board of Directors longer than any other member.
The bank took present name in 1925. This is third location.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10393.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 42.716′ N, 94° 56.025′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of West Polk Street and North Jackson Avenue, on the left when traveling east on West Polk Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 West Polk Street, Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Livingston (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Polk County, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); Polk County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); "Polk County Enterprise" (about 600 feet away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Polk County (about 700 feet away); Old Livingston Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Also see . . . Banks and Banking. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.