Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chester in Randolph County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

George Rogers Clark Campsite

 
 
George Rogers Clark Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
1. George Rogers Clark Campsite Marker
Inscription.  In the third year of the American Revolutionary War, Lt. Col. George Rogers Clark and his army of 170 Virginians set out from Fort Massac (Metropolis) on their way to liberate the town of Kaskaskia from British control. On July 3, 1778, Clark's army crossed the old state ford near Welge and established its fifth and final camp on the west side of St. Mary's River.

On July 4th, Clark's army marched to a staging point at Diamond Cross and later that evening attacked and secured Kaskaskia.
 
Erected 2007 by Bowman's Company and the Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 3, 1778.
 
Location. 37° 56.899′ N, 89° 45.955′ W. Marker is near Chester, Illinois, in Randolph County. Marker can be reached from Illinois Route 150, 0.2 miles south of Briarhill Road. Marker is outside the Mary's River Covered Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3845 State Rte 150, Chester IL 62233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chester-Kaskaskia, Illinois (a few steps from this marker); Mary's River Covered Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Nana Oyl (approx. 1˝ miles away); Rough House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sea Hag & Bernard the Vulture (approx. 2.6 miles away); Prof. O.G. Wotasnozzle (approx. 3.3 miles away); Castor Oyl & Bernice the Whiffle Hen (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sherlock and Segar (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
More about this marker. According to the Illinois State Historical Society's website, the marker was dedicated on March 1, 2007. This is one of five markers erected by the ISHS that is titled "George Rogers Clark Campsite" (the others were placed at Jackson, Johnson and Massac counties in Illinois). This was the fifth and last, in chronological order of Clark and his troops' way to Kaskaskia.
 
Also see . . .  George Rogers Clark on Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
 
George Rogers Clark Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
2. George Rogers Clark Campsite Marker
Marker is outside the Mary's River Covered Bridge.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=161445

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024