Prairie Hill in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Prairie Hill Baptist Church
This congregation was organized on October 18, 1885, with 12 charter members from the Mount Antioch Baptist Church assisting with the organization and ordination of deacons was Ezekial Jackson Billington (1826-1896), who had been ordained as a Minister by the Mount Antioch Church. Billington helped organize a number of churches in the area, including those at Froza, Horn Hill, Hubbard, and Mount Calm. His daughter - Madora and her husband, J.R. Leathers, donated land at this site for a church building and cemetery. The first sanctuary was completed in 1890.
George L. Jennings (1830- 1911), who had served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, was called to be the first pastor of the Prairie Hill congregation. He had preached in Mississippi before coming to Texas in 1873. Early members of the fellowship were primarily cotton and corn farmers from the surrounding area. Preaching services were held Sunday mornings and evenings. A Sunday School program and Bible classes were begun later.
Over the years, the Prairie Hill Baptist Church has become an important part of the religious heritage of Limestone County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 39.722′ N, 96° 47.673′ W. Marker is in Prairie Hill, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is on LCR 141 0.1 miles east of Farm to Market Road 73, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Prairie Hill TX 76678, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prairie Hill Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mt. Antioch Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Mt. Calm Confederate Memorial (approx. 6.9 miles away); Mount Calm Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Mt. Calm Methodist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 8˝ miles away); Col. Leonard Williams (approx. 8˝ miles away); Armour Cemetery (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Baptist Church. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.