Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Dodge in Webster County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Chicago, Great Western Depot

1905-1964

 
 
Chicago, Great Western Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 8, 2017
1. Chicago, Great Western Depot Marker
Inscription.  This is the historic site of the Chicago, Great Western Depot. Previously known as the Mason City and Fort Dodge Railroad, the Chicago, Great Western Railroad constructed rail lines into Fort Dodge around 1886 and provided passenger connections to Minneapolis, Omaha, and Des Moines until 1965. The Chicago, Great Western Depot and the Illinois Central Depot served as bookends to the downtown. A street car was later built to connect these two depots that each housed north-south and east-west passenger lines. The railroad would sometimes run excursions from Fort Dodge to other locations, providing rates at anywhere between half and one-fifth of the cost. These excursions were held to promote travel between serving cities and were sometimes provided for large events. The depot building was demolished in 1964, near the time passenger rail service ended in Fort Dodge.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 42° 30.357′ N, 94° 10.942′ W. Marker is in Fort Dodge, Iowa, in Webster County. Marker can be reached from
Marker detail: Chicago, Great Western Depot image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Chicago, Great Western Depot
Central Avenue just east of South 12th Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in the small Veterans Memorial Park at Central Avenue & South 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Dodge IA 50501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Fort Dodge Post Office and Federal Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Webster County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Dodge City Hall, Police & Fire Department (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Dodge Freedom Rock Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dragoon Trail Historical Site Marker No. 12 (approx. 1˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Chicago Great Western - A Capsule History. The Chicago Great Western (not to be confused with the Chicago & North Western) was a Granger road, which radiated out from its hub in Oelwein, Iowa. Main lines went to St. Paul, Chicago, Kansas City, and Omaha. It was a spunky competitor against the larger Granger roads, and it had some difficult times. (Submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Fort Dodge, Iowa, Chicago Great Western Railroad Depot. (Submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The greatest excursion ever run from the west... (The Fort Dodge Messenger: June 19, 1905) What was, according to men in positions
Chicago, Great Western Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 8, 2017
3. Chicago, Great Western Depot Marker
(looking southeast across Central Avenue • First American Bank in background)
to know, the greatest excursion ever run from the west, passed thru Fort Dodge Saturday. The excursion was the greatest in several ways, having the largest number of passengers drained from one district and in addition having the greatest number of cars and trains. (Submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 27, 2021