Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit
The twentieth-century age of electronics can trace its roots to the 1906 invention of the triode vacuum tube, which marked the birth of modern radio. The invention of the transistor after World War II ushered in a new era of solid-state electronics.
As engineers designed increasingly complex equipment, the difficulty of interconnecting large numbers of individual transistors and other components to form electronic circuits was a barrier to further progress. The need arose for a reliable, cost-effective way to produce and interconnect the components. Technical research groups in the United States and abroad began work on the problem. In 1958, Jack St. Clair Kilby, an engineer at Texas Instruments (TI) in Dallas, designed and built an integrated circuit with all the components formed in a single piece of semiconductor material. On September 12, 1958, he demonstrated this first working integrated circuit to TI personnel in the semiconductor building on this site.
This conceptual breakthrough and work elsewhere led to development of the microchips that are at the core of modern electronic products, including a broad range
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6709.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 32° 55.939′ N, 96° 45.206′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker can be reached from North Central Expressway. The marker is inside of Gate 1 of the Texas Instruments Campus just south of Midpark Road. It is difficult to get passed the security gate to see it. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13510 N Central Expressway, Dallas TX 75243, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Hamilton Park Community (approx. 1.1 miles away); McKamy Spring (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wheeler School (approx. 1½ miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Richardson (approx. 2 miles away); First United Methodist Church Richardson (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.