Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Eufaula

 
 
Frst Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
1. Frst Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker
Inscription.  Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First Baptist Church of Eufaula. The church met temporarily in the male academy at the Northwest corner of Union and Livingston Streets. In 1841 a new church building was erected at the Northwest corner of Union and Forsyth Streets. The second church was built at this location and was dedicated on November 5, 1871. The building was destroyed by fire caused by lightning on August 12, 1907 and rebuilt using the same exterior walls without the steeple.
 
Erected 2001 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Baptist Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 31° 53.497′ N, 85° 8.621′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is at the intersection of East Barbour Street (U.S. 82) and South Randolph
First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
2. First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker
Looking east on East Barbour Street (US 82) toward Lake Walter F. George (and Georgia).
Street, on the right when traveling west on East Barbour Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 S Randolph St, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Honor of All World War II Veterans (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eufaula First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Cowikee Cotton Mills (about 700 feet away); World War I Doughboy (about 700 feet away); Eufaula (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); The Creek Town of Eufaula (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eufaula.
 
First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. First Baptist Church of Eufaula Marker
Looking west along East Barbour Street (US Highway 82) toward Eufaula Avenue (US Highway 421).
First Baptist Church of Eufaula image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2011
4. First Baptist Church of Eufaula
First Baptist Church of Eufaula image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
5. First Baptist Church of Eufaula
Marker is missing, but pole is still present at First Baptist Church. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, February 4, 2017
6. Marker is missing, but pole is still present at First Baptist Church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2011, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. This page has been viewed 890 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on December 11, 2020, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   6. submitted on February 4, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of replaced marker in context with the church. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021