Blockhouse and Breastworks
Beginning Construction 1864
Fort Wadsworth (Fort Sisseton) was surrounded on three sides by water and situated on a hill. These were the fort's natural defenses. Structural defense systems consisted of blockhouses at the northwest and southeast corners, and a moat and earthen berms constructed around the fort's perimeter.
Each blockhouse contained a twelve-pound mountain howitzer, and seven x eight inch thick, nearly indestructible walls. Original plans also called for a wood stockade; however, timber was scarce so the project was never completed.
Erected by South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
Location. 45° 39.517′ N, 97° 31.888′ W. Marker is near Eden, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Memorial can be reached from 434th Avenue (County Road 5), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11907 434th Ave, Eden SD 57232, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doctor's Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Hospital
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 15 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2020, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.