Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmington Hills in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Nardin Park United Methodist Church

 
 
Nardin Park United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, December 10, 2020
1. Nardin Park United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1927 the Nardin Park Methodist Episcopal Church was formed by a merger of two Detroit churches: the Ninde Church, organized in 1886, and the Grand River Avenue Church, established in 1891. The following year and educational building and gymnasium were constructed on a site across West Chicago Boulevard from Nardin Park. The Depression delayed construction of the sanctuary. In 1937 a building campaign began. The Kresge Foundation donated $50,000. The completed sanctuary was dedicated in 1943. In 1963 the congregation sold the building to Ebenezer African Methodist Episcopal Church. The present church was dedicated on October 17, 1965.
 
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1771.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 17, 1965.
 
Location. 42° 29.081′ N, 83° 20.512′ W. Marker is in Farmington Hills, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at the intersection of West Eleven Mile Road and Barnwell Road, on the left when traveling west on West Eleven Mile Road. Marker is at the northeast corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29887 West Eleven Mile Road, Farmington MI 48336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pasadena Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Utley Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Philbrick Tavern (approx. 1.3 miles away); Where Farmington Began (approx. 1.3 miles away); McCabe Funeral Home (approx. 1˝ miles away); Eli Stodgell House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Buckhorn Corners (approx. 1˝ miles away); St. Vincent and Sarah Fisher Center (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington Hills.
 
Also see . . .  Nardin Park UMC History. History of the church on the church's website. (Submitted on December 11, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Locations of previous churches
Ninde Church was located at Grand River Avenue (State Highway 5) and Beverly Court, Grand River Avenue Church was located at Grand River (State Highway 5) and McGraw Avenues, and the original Nardin Park Church was located at 5151 West Chicago Avenue — all in Detroit.
Nardin Park United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, December 10, 2020
2. Nardin Park United Methodist Church and Marker
    — Submitted December 11, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Nardin Park United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, December 10, 2020
3. Nardin Park United Methodist Church and Marker
Nardin Park United Methodist Church Marker Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, December 10, 2020
4. Nardin Park United Methodist Church Marker Dedication Plaque
Plaque on east wall of building near the historic marker.
Nardin Park United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, December 10, 2020
5. Nardin Park United Methodist Church
Nardin Park
Methodist Church
"Come Unto Me
All Ye That Labor And Are Heavy Laden
And I Will Give You Rest"
Matthew 11:28
Erected 1964
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=162306

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024