Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Original Building of Tivy School
Captain Joseph A. Tivy, a Canadian born in 1818, settled in Kerr County about 1870. He served as Kerrville's first mayor and as a Texas legislator. He surveyed most of the Kerrville area and gave land for a city park. In 1890, he gave 16 and 2/3 acres for a school on this site and 100 acres to be sold to build and furnish the school. Classes began October 1891. Among the early students was Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz. The native stone building was severely damaged by fire in 1942 and the facade stuccoed. This building housed Tivy High School until 1967.
Presented by The Classes of 1927 & 1928
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5392.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1891.
Location. 30° 2.744′ N, 99° 7.952′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker can be reached from Barnett Street 0.1 miles south of Tivy Street. The marker is located on the front door of the Old Tivy School Building, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1009 Barnett Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church of Kerrville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Notre Dame Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kerrville Mountain Sun (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bocock Civil War Cannon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guthrie Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Also see . . . Captain Joseph A. Tivy. Captain Tivy donated the land for the school and helped build the building by selling 100 acres for funding. (Submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.