Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Notre Dame Catholic Church
Originally organized in 1892 as a Mission named St. Mary of the Assumption, it became a Parish church in 1911 under Father Henry Michael Kemper. He moved the church to its permanent location soon after and established a school. In 1915, the church sponsored Our Lady of Guadalupe Church and School to serve Hispanic Catholics; they merged with Notre Dame in 1955. When a new church was built in 1935, the name was changed to Notre Dame. A social center was built in 1979 and a larger church building in 1990. Members have reached out to the community through a jail ministry, food pantry, free medical clinic and a host of other volunteer ministries. Today, the church continues to play a vital role in Kerrville.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16312.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 30° 2.663′ N, 99° 8.337′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, TexasTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christian Dietert Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fawcett Furniture Building (1882) (about 400 feet away); Masonic Building (about 700 feet away); Kerrville Mountain Sun (about 700 feet away); Guthrie Building (about 700 feet away); Captain Charles Schreiner (about 700 feet away); Old Kerrville Post Office (1936) (about 800 feet away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 25 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 12, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.