Historical Site of the First Masonic Temple in the County of Santa Barbara
Among those famous representatives present were Edward H. Hart, acting Grand Master, and Dr. William T. Lucas, grand orator for the occasion who was also a medical doctor and friend to many of the populace in the city of Santa Maria.
Hall Association members were Madison Thornburg, President and realtor; Charles Bradley, Vice President and a landlord; Mark Fleisher, secretary; Paul Otto Tietzen, treasurer and a banker; Charles U. Armstrong, attorney; J.F. Goodwin; and Fremont C. Twitchell who was master of Hesperian Lodge #264 and a rancher.
Other members who have lent their names to streets, dams, and edifices were Brothers Isaac Miller Jr., hardware clerk and a volunteer fireman; William L. Adam; Henry Stowell; John G. Phell, farmer; Thomas Preisker, attorney; L. W. Blosser; Albert A. Dudley, mortician; Henry C. and William H. Tunnell, farmers; and George M. Doane, carpenter.
Masonry first came to this valley in 1874 to the city of Guadalupe. Hesperian
Central City changed its name to Santa Maria in 1884 and received its charter as a city just one week before laying of the cornerstone for the Masonic Temple. The Hesperian Lodge brothers held their firet meeting in their new temple on September 29, 1906 and continued to do so until the earthquakes of 1926 and 1927 damaged the building so that it was deemed to be unsafe for holding lodge meetings.
It was in the basement of this building that the first telephone company in Santa Maria was housed.
The Masonic Temple located here on this site was dedicated by Masons "Going forth to build a better tomorrow on the foundation of love of God, Country and Family while living a life of exemplary truth and morality."
(Committee and Council names not transcribed)
Erected by City of Santa Maria, Santa Maria Valley Historical Society. (Marker Number 10.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 57.128′ N, 120° 26.167′ W. Marker is in
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Maria's Oldest Building (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of William Alvin Newton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); IOOF Temple (about 400 feet away); Santa Maria Libraries (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Masonic Cornerstone of Carnegie Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Reuben Hart Residence (approx. ¼ mile away); Santa Maria Valley World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The American Woman Veteran (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Maria.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted to a low cement monument at the eastern edge of the parking lot that is just south of West Main Street, just south of the entrance to the lot off of Broadway when heading south.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 12, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.