Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kerrville First United Methodist Church

 
 
Kerrville First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
1. Kerrville First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  

Beginning in 1854, area residents were led by Methodist circuit riders in worship services at various homes and in a brush arbor. In 1858, the Kerrville area was included in the newly designated Rio Grande Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Members of Kerrville's Methodist Congregation continued meeting in homes until 1871, when they constructed a wood frame church in downtown Kerrville. The building also served as a school and public meeting place but was destroyed later in a storm.

In 1876, the County Commissioners Court allowed local congregations to use the District Courtroom for meetings and services. In 1885, the community constructed a Union church building for use by several denominations, including the Methodists. Three years later, the Methodist Church had its first resident pastor, the Rev. F.S. Perrin, who led the congregation in choosing a site for a building. Dedicated in 1892, the sanctuary at Sidney Baker and Jefferson Streets served a growing congregation, and numerous additions, including wings were built in 1906, served as Sunday School Rooms. The congregation constructed a new sanctuary there
Kerrville First United Methodist Church entrance with the Marker. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
2. Kerrville First United Methodist Church entrance with the Marker.
in 1927 and continued worshiping at that site until developing a new campus at this location in the 1970s.

Kerrville First United Methodist Church has created strong education and service programs, including groups for men, women, youth and children. These have expanded along with the church's membership. The church members continue to value their history, maintaining their traditions and creating new opportunities for service and worship.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14213.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 30° 2.781′ N, 99° 8.961′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is at the intersection of Thompson Drive (State Highway 98 Spur) and Wesley Drive, on the left when traveling west on Thompson Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 321 Thompson Drive, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scott and Josephine Carr Schreiner (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Pampell Opera House (approx. half a mile away); Sid Peterson (approx. half a mile away); Floyd A. Cailloux (approx. half a mile away); The Favorite Saloon Building (1874) (approx.
First United Methodist Church sign image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 5, 2020
3. First United Methodist Church sign
half a mile away); H-E-B (approx. half a mile away); Boeckmann Recreation Hall (1909) (approx. half a mile away); Schreiner Wool Warehouse (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
 
Also see . . .  Methodist Church. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 24 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021