Cruze Farm House History
— National Route 66 Museum and Old Town Museum —
This is dedicated in loving memory of Elmer "Red” and Elsie G. Cruze, early day settlers of the Indian Creek area, north of Carter, Oklahoma. Elsie moved to the Indian Creek area at the age of 3, with her parents Pearl J. and Kate King, from Wise County, Texas in 1908. Elmer moved to the farm where this house was located at the age of 16 from Amarillo, Texas, when his parents Wallace and Edna Cruze purchased the farm in 1917 from Marion Throckmorton. Elmer and Elsie were married in 1922 and lived in this house until his death in 1975. Elsie moved to Sayre, Oklahoma, after his death but was fond of the house and maintained it the best she could until her death in 1996.
Their 4 children, Earl T. Cruze, Irona Bradford, Juanita Bradford, and Arnold L. Cruze donated this house to the Elk City Old Town Museum in October 1997.
Records indicate that Thomas Inman homesteaded the farm and built this house in the late 1890s on the banks of Indian Creek 4 miles north and 1 mile west of Carter, Oklahoma. The lumber used to build the house was hauled from Fort Sill, Oklahoma, (approximately 100 miles) in a wagon. The
It is evident the structure was strong to have survived the test of time.
Many other homes were destroyed by tornadoes and grass fires, but
this house withstood the harsh weather of Western
Oklahoma for one hundred years.
Erected 1997 by Arnold L. Cruze.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 24.717′ N, 99° 26.183′ W. Marker is in Elk City, Oklahoma, in Beckham County. Marker is on U.S. 66, on the left when traveling east. The marker is on the grounds of the National Route 66 Museum and Old Town Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elk City OK 73648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Wooden Home (a few steps from this marker); Rock Bluff School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Anadarko Basin (within shouting distance
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2020, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.