Wheeling in Ohio County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Built for Henry Kilbourne List in 1858; Renaissance Revival style house given to the Woman's Club in 1941 and purchased by the Red Cross in 1946.
Erected by City of Wheeling, West Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 40° 4.372′ N, 80° 43.508′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (West Virginia Route 2) and Interstate 70, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. House is at the Main Street on-ramp to I-70 westbound, just east of the Ohio River. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 827 Main Street, Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hazlett-Fields House (within shouting distance of this marker); The John List House (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Gay House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hess House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stifel-Kossuth HouseThe Eckhart House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Wise House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 800 Main Street (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
Also see . . . Henry K. List House - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. West Virginia Department of Arts, Culture and History website entry (Submitted on February 23, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
1. List House and Pollack Memorial
The Henry Kilbourne List House (827 Main St.) has undergone architectural changes. The front porch area is not original. It was rebuilt (smaller) by the American Red Cross in the late 1940s or early 1950s. The back portion of the house was added after the original construction. Mr. List was a successful dry goods merchant and banker who had a growing family.
To the left (south) side of the property sits the Augustus Pollack Memorial. He was a well known German cigar merchant, German Newspaper publisher, and an insurance executive who supported the nineteenth century
The List House is near the approximate location of the former Thomas Sweeney II mansion (847 Main St.) which was "demolished" in 1875.
— Submitted February 3, 2010, by Scott Owen of Durham, North Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,229 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 7, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. 2. submitted on February 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 7, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.