Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint John's Episcopal Church
This congregation was organized in 1885, five years after the railroad town of Sealy was founded. Among the Church's early supporters was railroad official George Sealy, for whom the town was named and who served on the Missionary Board of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas. The congregation's first building, erected two blocks north of this site in 1889, was destroyed in the 1900 Hurricane. A new church structure was built at this site in 1910. Throughout its history, Saint John's Church has served the community with worship, educational, and outreach programs.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4451.)
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters.
Location. 29° 46.678′ N, 96° 9.412′ W. Marker is in Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Memorial is at the intersection of Meyer Street (State Highway 36) and 6th Street, on the left when traveling north on Meyer Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 Meyer Street, Sealy TX 77474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distancePaul and Mahala Hackbarth House (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Citizens State Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Preibisch Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Haynes-Felcman House (approx. ¼ mile away); Sealy (approx. ¼ mile away); Hackbarth Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Haynes Mattress Factory (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sealy.
Also see . . . Galveston Hurricane of 1900. The storm lifted debris from one row of buildings and hurled it against the next row until eventually two-thirds of the city, then the fourth largest in Texas, had been destroyed. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.