Cuba City in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Milk Trains
Platforms the height of the car deck were built next to the tracks. In the evening the farmers of the area would deliver their milk or cream to the platform. During the night the train would stop to load the milk or cream onto the train.
This made for a very slow trip for the train.
Thus a slow train for whatever reason would be known as a "Milk Train."
In Cuba City, the creamery was located on the tracks just west of the train depot.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 42° 36.313′ N, 90° 25.876′ W. Marker is in Cuba City, Wisconsin, in Grant County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street (State Road 80) south of West Webster Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Cuba City Presidential Courtyard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 South Main Street, Cuba City WI 53807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Baggage / Milk Cart (here, next to this marker); Semaphore Signal (Traffic Signal) (here, next to this marker); Tools of the Railroad (here, next to this marker); The Speeder Car w/Tools (here, next to this marker); The Chimes of Time (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Presidents — Presidential Shields (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whistle Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Samuel Mazzuchelli (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuba City.
Also see . . .
1. Cuba City Creamery. Cuba City's centennial history, written in 1975, has a short paragraph on the Cuba City Creamery: "According to the 'oldest residents' the first creamery here was started by R. A. Wilson & Co. in the early '90s. It was later leased to the Elgin Creamery Co. and later changed hands a number of times, with a Mr. Chandler and Fred Maso operating it in turn before Henry Ipsen took it over in 1919. He operated it until retiring and it has since been carried on by his sons, Hank and Paul." (Submitted on December 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Cuba City's train depot and the Cuba City State Bank. (Photograph of this location, probably taken in July 1925.) (Submitted on December 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 16, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.