Yancey in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Yancey United Methodist Church
Completed in 1925, this church building resulted from the combination of two neighboring Methodist congregations. Circuit-riding Methodist preacher A.J. Potter began holding services in a log schoolhouse south of Yancey in 1875. That congregation eventually came to be known as Wilson Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, before it moved into the town of Yancey and was renamed Yancey Methodist Church. North of town, the Yancey Ebenezer Methodist Church, South, was founded in 1903-1904, with the Rev. W.D. Wiemers as first preacher, to serve the German population that lived in the area. In 1921, the two congregations were combined, with the Rev. F.W. Radetzky as first pastor.
The church building features classic Gothic detailing, such as the pointed arches in the windows and the entryway. Gothic Revival was a popular style for church designs at the time this building was constructed. When detailed in wood rather than masonry, the style is known as Carpenter Gothic. The square bell tower and gabled roof are other prominent features of the building. An open-air tabernacle on the property, once used for dinners on the ground, worship
With its history reaching back to the earliest evidence of Methodism in the area, the Yancey United Methodist Church has played a strong role in the cultural and religious history of the community. It continues to serve the area with a variety of service and outreach ministries. The historic church building remains a significant part of Yancey's architectural heritage.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12556.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 8.363′ N, 99° 8.578′ W. Marker is in Yancey, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is on Church Street (County Highway 743) 0.3 miles west of Farm to Market Road 462, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yancey TX 78886, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yancey, Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Moore Catholic Cemetery (approx. 9.8 miles away); Moore Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away); Charco de la Pita (approx. 12˝ Spanish Exploration in Medina County (approx. 12˝ miles away); Medina County (approx. 14.1 miles away); Site of Saint Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery (approx. 14.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yancey.
Also see . . . Methodist Church. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.