Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Elektron Building

 
 
The Elektron Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2016
1. The Elektron Building Marker
Inscription.  Designed by Fort Wayne architects John Wing and Marshall Mahurin, the Elektron Building was built in 1895. The name Elektron inscribed on the cornice at the top of the building reflected the business interests in early electrical engineering of the principal owner of the building, Ronald T. McDonald, a founder of the Jenney Electric Light Company.

From 1898 to 1902, the Elektron Building served as the Allen County Courthouse during construction of the present courthouse. In 1904, the Elektron Building served as the home of the Allen County Public Library while its first permanent facility was being built. In 1912, the seven-year-old Lincoln National Life Insurance Company purchased the building as its new headquarters, which it occupied until 1923 when a new Lincoln National Life building was completed on Harrison Street.

The interior of the building was remodeled into law offices in 1986.
 
Erected by Journal-Gazette Foundation, and Organization for Historic Preservation (ARCH).
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location.
Marker detail: The Elektron Building, circa 1920 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Allen County Fort-Wayne Historical Society
2. Marker detail: The Elektron Building, circa 1920
The Elektron Building in about 1920, when it served as the headquarters of the Lincoln Life Insurance Company.
41° 4.784′ N, 85° 8.248′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is on East Berry Street west of Barr Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted atop a pedestal at the subject building entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 East Berry Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Journal Gazette Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Police Station (about 300 feet away); Major General Anthony Wayne (about 500 feet away); Mother George (about 500 feet away); The Allen County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); The Last Two American Forts / The Siege of 1812 (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Fort Wayne Well (approx. ¼ mile away); The Site of General Wayne's Fort (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Elektron Building. Many John F. Wing and Marshall S. Mahurin buildings stand today as landmark structures throughout Indiana and Ohio. Specializing in the popular Richardsonian Romanesque, Queen Anne and neoclassical styles of architecture, they designed many public and private buildings in Indiana and Ohio. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Elektron Building. Robert S. Walters, a partner in the firm of Barrett and McNagny’s, bought the Elektron
The Elektron Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2016
3. The Elektron Building Marker
building (also known as the Standard Building) in 1982. The Romanesque Revival building, designed by Wing and Mahurin, originally had fireplaces, high ceilings, skylights, and wood moldings and trim when it was built in 1893. (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

3. Elektron Building Featured in Book on Historic Buildings. The Elektron Building is featured in a new book on historic buildings in Fort Wayne titled "Fort Wayne Through Time." Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly recently profiled the book and its author, Randy Harter, in an article titled "Fort Wayne Companies Call Historic Buildings Homes." (Submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
The Elektron Building image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 27, 2016
4. The Elektron Building
(marker visible at bottom center • in front of entrance)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021