Weimar in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Weimar
This land - once part of first Anglo-American colony in Texas - grew into a townsite in 1873 with coming of the Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio rail line. D.W. Jackson donated half of land for town, which was named for Weimar, Germany.
Post Office was established in 1873. Town incorporated 1875. By 1887 Weimar was enjoying a prosperous cotton economy, had many stores and 2 newspapers. Local opera house (150 yds. S), built about 1880, was one of the first between Houston and San Antonio.
Present Economy is based on agriculture. Population is 2,050.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5743.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 42.151′ N, 96° 46.827′ W. Marker is in Weimar, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 90) and South Center Street, on the left when traveling west on Main StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Main Street, Weimar TX 78962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Weimar Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Weimar Masonic Lodge No. 423 (about 300 feet away); St. Michael’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Holman-Seifert Homestead (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Pettit Borden (approx. 0.8 miles away); Weimar Masonic Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dubina (approx. 3.7 miles away); Old Osage (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weimar.
Also see . . .
1. Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway. The railroad itself used the nickname Sunset Route, a name that was in general use by 1874 and was later adopted by the Southern Pacific for the entire line between New Orleans and Los Angeles. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Weimar Texas. The community was first called Jackson, after D. W. Jackson, a native Georgian and area landowner who donated land for the railroad right-of-way and the townsite. The populace subsequently chose the name Weimar; an early record states that Thomas W. Peirce, who authorized Jackson to sell lots at the site, had visited Weimar, Germany, and was favorably (Submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
3. Weimar Germany. Weimar Texas was named after Weimar Germany, a focal point of the German Enlightenment. (Submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 26 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 23, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.