Flatonia in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Flatonia Methodist Church
Founded about 1855 as Lane's Chapel by Alabaman settlers, including Texas Declaration of Independence signer William Menefee. Group met in log cabin (about 6 miles NE), then erected church school building (1859) at Pine Springs. Flatonia was founded in 1873. Services at Pine Springs lapsed when church burned 1874; members began to move to town. Worship was held in homes until this church was built in 1879.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1909.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 29° 41.276′ N, 97° 6.248′ W. Marker is in Flatonia, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of East North Main Street (U.S. 90) and North Middle Stret, on the right when traveling west on East North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 North North Main Street, Flatonia TX 78941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mike Schulze Building (approx. 0.2 miles Flatonia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Olle Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Wheeler Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The American Doughboy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Novohrad School (approx. 5.6 miles away); Salem Memorial Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flatonia.
Also see . . . William Menefee (1796–1875). In 1846, during that year moved to Fayette County, which he represented in the House of the Fifth Legislature. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.