Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1975 by This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 880 on March 14, 1975. (Marker Number 880.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list.
Location. 38° 3.012′ N, 122° 9.538′ W. Marker is in Benicia, California, in Solano County. The marker is located on the grounds of the Benicia Capitol State Historic Park. The house is located next door at 137 West G Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founders of Benicia (a few steps from this marker); Robert Semple (a few steps from this marker); Old State Capitol (a few steps from this marker); Antonio M. De LaGuerra 1825 – ‘81 (a few steps from this marker); The Bohn Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Solano Hotel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peregrine Landing Ark & Stables (about 800 feet away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benicia.
Regarding Fischer-Hanlon House. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 880 on March 14, 1975 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 1975.
Also see . . . The Fischer-Hanlon House. (Submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. From “Camel Tracks”, the Benicia Historical Museum’s Newsletter Oct/Nov 2007
Museum Curator Beverly Phelan wrote for the “Curator’s Corner”:
“One of the notable homes in Benicia is the Fischer-Hanlon House
the lot and the former Spanish style balcony was enclosed and a kitchen area was built underneath the balcony. A New England style balcony was built on the former back of the home. Joseph Fischer was born in Switzerland in 1823. He arrived in the United States in 1844 and worked on a farm on Staten Island, New York. By 1849, he arrived in Sacramento. In 1850, he partnered with Lawrence Graber and bought a twelve by fifty foot lot fronting East Second Street between B and C Streets. They were butchers and built their shop at this location. He later had a new partner and moved his business to a better location on the corner of First and East E Streets. Joseph met his wife through Captain Edward Von Pfister who had his merchandise business in the adobe at the end of First Street in Benicia. His wife, Mary Hall Sheridan, had a visit from her sister Catherine. The Von Pfisters introduced Catherine to Joseph Fischer and she never went back home. They were married late in 1854. Joseph and his wife Catherine had three children: Elizabeth, Martha and Joseph. Elizabeth married John D. Hanlon of San Francisco in 1883 at St. Dominic’s
in Benicia but lived in San Francisco for many years. With the passing of Joseph Fischer in 1884 and then Catherine in 1893 the house was left to the three children. Elizabeth and Joseph deeded the house to Martha. Starting in 1901, Martha began remodeling the house. She started by installing plumbing and two bathrooms were installed in the back porch area east of the kitchen. Electricity was installed next and the kitchen was converted into a sitting room. The pantry and creamery were changed into the kitchen. By 1938, Elizabeth Hanlon’s three daughters acquired title to the house from Martha. In 1968 two of the daughters, Catherine and Raphaelita gave the house and lot to the State of California. By 1976, the house was opened to the public. Several pieces of the beautiful Fischer-Hanlon china are in the Museum’s
collection. It has been on display in the Victorian living room. The Benicia Historical Society has put on loan to the Museum the Fisher-Hanlon silver serving pieces. Included in this beautiful collection is a water server, coffee pot, pitchers, silver utensils, candlesticks and more.”
— Submitted February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,626 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 8, 9, 10. submitted on February 22, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 11. submitted on February 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.