Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Simpson-Jones Building

El Edificio Simpson-Jones

 

— El Pueblo de Los Angeles —

 
Simpson-Jones Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
1. Simpson-Jones Building Marker
Inscription.  Doria Deighton Jones built what is now known as the Simpson-Jones Building in 1894. The site had formerly contained a large adobe which she, her husband John Jones and their children occupied. The adobe was torn down when Bath Street was widened in 1886 to become an extension of Main Street. The Simpson-Jones Building was constructed to house William Gregory Engines, also known as Moline Engines. Later tenants were the Diamond Shirt Company and the Soochow Restaurant.

When Doria died in 1908, her property was divided amongst her three children and her daughter, Constance Jones Simpson, inherited the three buildings close to the Plaza on Main Street. Mrs. Simpson opposed Christine Simpson’s idea of closing vehicle traffic on Olvera Street and fought the matter all the way to the California Supreme Court.

In 1960 the Simpson-Jones Building was altered to create the appearance of a Mexican bank.

(plaque opposite)
Doria Deighton Jones construyó lo que hoy se conoce como el Edificio Simpson-Jones en 1894. El sitio con anterioridad había tenido un gran adobe el cual ocupaban ella, su esposo,
Simpson-Jones Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
2. Simpson-Jones Building Marker
John Jones, y sus hijos. El adobe fue derribado cuando, en 1886, se amplió la Calle Bath (Bath Street) para convertirla en una extensión de Main Street (Calle Principal). El Edificio Simpson-Jones fue construido para albergar a William Gregory Engines, también conocido como Moline Engines. Los inquilinos que ocuparon con posterioridad fueron la Diamond Shirt Company y el Restaurante Soochow.

Cuando falleció Doria en 1908, su propiedad se dividió entre sus tres hijos, y su hija Constance Simpson-Jones heredó los tres edificios en Main Street cercanos a La Plaza. La Sra. Simpson-Jones se opuso a la idea de Christine Sterling de cerrar la Calle Olvera al tráfico vehicular, y peleó el asunto hasta llegar a la Corte Suprema de California.

En 1960 se alteró el Edificio Simpson-Jones para darle la apariencia de un banco Mexicano.
 
Erected by El Pueblo de Los Angeles.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 34° 3.434′ N, 118° 14.32′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Paseo de la Plaza, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 N Main St, Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Simpson-Jones Building image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
3. Simpson-Jones Building
walking distance of this marker. Main Street (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Simpson/Jones Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jones Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Olvera Street Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); First Gas Service in Southern California (within shouting distance of this marker); Machine Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); First Mayor of Los Angeles Under United States Rule (within shouting distance of this marker); Sister Squares (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021