McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Muse Academy
A native of Virginia, James S. Muse (1804-1878) prospered as a hemp grower in Missouri before coming to Texas with his wife Margaret Slaughter. He bought 320 acres and built this house in 1858-1859. In one wing which was later removed, he opened Muse Academy, also known as Mount Pleasant High School. A lay preacher in the Christian church, he was also a Greek and Latin scholar. Other instructors, including his daughters, were added as the school grew. Many children of prominent pioneer families in north Texas attended. The school closed in 1871.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6188.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 12.517′ N, 96° 37.556′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North Waddill Street north of West Erwin Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1306 N Waddill Street, McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); J.D. Stiff Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Aron-Harris House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Waddill-Morris Homesite (approx. ¾ mile away); First United Methodist Church of McKinney (approx. ¾ mile away); Heard-Craig House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on December 28, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.