Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Glendive in Dawson County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Charles Krug House

 
 
Charles Krug House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2020
1. Charles Krug House Marker
Inscription.  Rancher and banker Charles Krug came west from Ohio in 1878, searching for opportunity and a climate to relieve his sister Emma’s asthma. In 1881, he and Emma settled in Glendive where she was a seamstress and he worked for the railroad. Krug built a herd of five hundred cattle, adding one or two head every payday. After the winter of 1886-87 claimed nearly all his livestock, he started over and eventually acquired 34,000 acres of land, 25,000 sheep, and 1,000 head of cattle. In 1900, at the age of fifty-five, Krug married Annie Ketcham, mother of two young daughters. Together they had five more children. In 1906, St. Louis architect Herbert C. Chivers built this twenty-five room Neo-classical style home for the Krug family. Constructed of glazed Hebron brick expertly laid by Michigan masons, Chivers’ own artisans crafted the elaborate details. The interior was handsomely finished in quartersawn oak with elaborate stairways, porcelain-tiled fireplaces, and beautifully carved columns. In the economically disastrous 1920s, when many rural banks were ruined by customers’ panic-driven withdrawals, Krug was president of the Merchant’s National Bank.
Charles Krug House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 10, 2020
2. Charles Krug House and Marker
He and Exchange Bank president Henry Dion agreed to help each other through the hard times. Krug, known as a man of his word, averted a run on his bank when he vowed publicly to use every penny he had to keep his bank solvent, if he had to leave town as broke as he arrived. All four Glendive banks survived.
 
Erected by Montana Silver Jackets.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
 
Location. 47° 6.36′ N, 104° 43.005′ W. Marker is in Glendive, Montana, in Dawson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Douglas Street and West Bell Street when traveling north on North Douglas Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 North Douglas Street, Glendive MT 59330, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bell Street Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glendive, MT (about 400 feet away); First Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage (about 700 feet away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.C. Penney Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); 107 West Bell Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Dion Building / Exchange Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dawson County World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendive.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 32 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021