Greenville in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
German native Charles Frederick von Ende (b. 1832) came to Greenville in 1857 and established a mercantile business on the town square. He became one of the community's most active civic leaders, serving on the school board and city council, and helping to establish the local Odd Fellows lodge. In 1857-1859, Ende built this home for his bride, Amelia Reinecker. Their daughter, Louise, and her husband, Dr. David l. Gaillard, bought the home in 1883. After Louise's death in 1945, the house became part of a lumberyard and was threatened with demolition. Originally located just north of the courthouse square, the Ende-Gaillard House was moved to a city park in 1957 and then to the American Cotton Museum in 1996.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12791.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 7.522′ N, 96° 5.366′ W. Marker is in Greenville, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on 7th Street, on the right when traveling northTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville TX 75402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Hal C. Horton Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fred Douglass Elementary School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Benjamin D. Martin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lallie P. Carlisle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Library Movement in Greenville (approx. one mile away); Kavanaugh Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Greenville Cotton Compress (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mary Jim Morris (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2020, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.