Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Kerrville in Kerr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fawcett Furniture Building (1882)

820 Water Street

 
 
Fawcett Furniture Building (1882) Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 26, 2020
1. Fawcett Furniture Building (1882) Marker
Inscription.  

The original building was a two-room pioneer homestead where local tradesmen gathered. From 1882 to 1904 this was the site of Walter E. Williams' "Household Furniture Store," where Willis Augustus "W. A." Fawcett worked for Mr. Williams in 1902, and according to Williams, Fawcett "was all right, I guess, but he don't know a kitchen safe from a wardrobe." In 1904 Fawcett bought out Williams and renamed it "W. A. Fawcett & Co."

In 1907 the old building was removed and a 3000 sq. ft. two-story building was erected, built of rusticated concrete block known as Basse block.

Rusticated concrete was concrete block made to look like stone, popular nationally 1905 to 1930. The upper story was used for a meeting hall until 1914 when the business needed more floor space for its own operations.

Fawcett tripled the size of the building in 1919 and further expanded in 1924 to its current size. By 1940, W. A. Fawcett Furniture was the largest furniture store between San Antonio and San Angelo.

W. A. Fawcett served as Mayor of Kerrville 1940-1944. While he was mayor, the airport runway, then between Kerrville and Ingram,
The front side of the Fawcett Furniture Building image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 26, 2020
2. The front side of the Fawcett Furniture Building
was expanded for Army Air Force pilot training. Land was being obtained by eminent domain from local farmers for this purpose.

One farmer was so angry about this that he and his brother accosted Fawcett outside the store, attacking and beating him, biting a piece of his left ear off. The ear was found and successfully reattached at the local hospital, the first such surgery ever in Kerrville.

The building was restored in 1987 by C. D. "Dash" Peterson.
 
Erected by Kerr County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceWar, World II.
 
Location. 30° 2.711′ N, 99° 8.394′ W. Marker is in Kerrville, Texas, in Kerr County. Marker is on Water Street 0.1 miles west of Washington Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 Water Street, Kerrville TX 78028, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christian Dietert Mill (about 300 feet away); Captain Charles Schreiner (about 400 feet away); Notre Dame Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Old Kerrville Post Office (1936)
The Fawcett Furniture Building is an antique mall. image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, December 26, 2020
3. The Fawcett Furniture Building is an antique mall.
(about 400 feet away); Guthrie Building (about 500 feet away); The Schreiner Building (about 500 feet away); Kerrville Mountain Sun (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kerrville.
 
Also see . . .  Fawcett Furniture Building (1882). (Submitted on December 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
 
Fawcett Furniture Building image. Click for full size.
Photo from marker, circa 1900
4. Fawcett Furniture Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 31, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021