Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Chester in Randolph County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Statehood of Illinois

History began in Randolph County 1818-2018

 
 
Statehood of Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
1. Statehood of Illinois Marker
Inscription.  The Village of Kaskaskia was established in April 1703 by the French in Illinois Country of New France. Kaskaskia is recognized as the oldest seat of organized government west of the Allegheny Mountains.

On April 18, 1818, the United States Congress issued a proclamation authorizing the people of the Illinois Territory to draft a constitution for admission into the Union and establish Kaskaskia as their capital. The constitution was adopted on August 26, 1818, and statehood granted on December 3, 1818.

Early officials of the United States government and the government of Illinois were from Kaskaskia and Randolph County. The notable residents were several members of the United States House of Representatives. The first Senator from Illinois, members of the Supreme Court, the first Governor of Illinois Shadrach Bond and the first Lieutenant - Governor Pierre Menard.

Named in recognition of the historic gift King Louis XV bestowed to the Church of Kaskaskia in 1741, the Liberty Bell of the West Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, dedicates this memorial to their revolutionary war patriots
Statehood of Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
2. Statehood of Illinois Marker
Marker is next to the Randolph County Museum.
and preservation of the history of Randolph County.
 
Erected 2018 by National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (Liberty Bell of the West chapter).
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 37° 54.246′ N, 89° 49.71′ W. Marker is in Chester, Illinois, in Randolph County. Marker is on West Taylor Street (Illinois Route 150) east of Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is between Randolph County Courthouse and Randolph County Historical Society buildings. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 W Taylor St, Chester IL 62233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weistar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cole Oyl (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toar (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Mather (approx. ¼ mile away); The River Boats (approx. ¼ mile away); Port of Chester, Illinois Welcoming Mississippi River Travelers since 1829 (approx. ¼ mile away); The Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away); Popeye (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Also see . . .  Monument unveiled to commemorate 200 years of Illinois history in Randolph County. From KFVS-12 (Cape Girardeau's CBS-affiliate station), this is an article about the dedication
Statehood of Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, November 30, 2020
3. Statehood of Illinois Marker
Back side of the marker (the top inscription translates to "For the Church of Illinois through the care of the king over water")
of the marker. Contains video. (Submitted on December 31, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 34 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021