Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Lattice Bridge
The second covered bridge across the Chattahoochee River, connecting Clay County, Georgia and Henry County. Alabama was constructed between 1867-69. Bonner and Walden, a New York construction company, were the original contractors but the bridge was completed by Horace King. After the three span bridge collapsed during the flood of March 1875, the original stockholders relinquished control of the structure to the City of Fort Gaines on the condition that the city should rebuild at public expense. A $7,500 bond issue was floated and the bridge was rebuilt by Captain B. B. McKenzie of Eufaula, Alabama.
Following the reopening of the covered bridge in 1875, the City of Fort Gaines considered levying ad valorem taxes to help retire the bridge repair bond issue. Angry property owners proposed that the city sell the bridge to any person who would guarantee to retire the bonds. After considerable debate, the bridge was sold to David C. Adams who realized a handsome profit on his investment. The flood of March 1888 partially destroyed the bridge again and it was resold to the city for $5,000.
Erected 1987 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Clay County Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉 series list.
Location. 31° 36.373′ N, 85° 3.285′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on Bluff Street 0 miles south of Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is well off the road, near the site of the old fort (and cannon). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In the Confederacy (a few steps from this marker); The 1836 Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chattahoochee River Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away in Alabama); Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama Fort Gaines Guards (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
Additional keywords. covered bridge
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 672 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on January 5, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on January 5, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.