The Village of Westwood
Five Miles northwest of Cincinnati in 1868, in a sparsely populated area of southeast Green Township, farmers, local merchants, and landed gentry gathered together to form the Village of Westwood. They envisioned a new community to better control their quality of life and the education of their children. A plat for the two and one-half square mile village was fled with the State of Ohio on September 6, 1868. Sixty-seven residents then petitioned Hamilton County’s Commissioners for the new village on September 14, 1868.
The Hamilton County Recorder certified the Village of Westwood on September 17, 1868. The village consisted of about 100 families. More then half the villagers were first-or second-generation German immigrants.
On January 6, 1896, acting President John M. Miller called to order an appointed body in part to organize elections for the new village. John Gaines was elected the village’s first Mayor on April 5, 1869. Robert and William Armstrong, F.W. Schwartz, F.H. Ochlmann,, Jr.,F. Mueller, William F. Davis and John M. Miller were elected to serve as Westwood’s first Village Council.
Less than a year after
Country estates, large and small, sprang up amid sprawling farms. By 1880, the village was home to 852 residents. The population grew to 1,052 by1890. Businessmen and professionals with ties to the Queen City came to reside in the village to escape the overcrowded, hot, smoke-filled city. In Westwood they could savor fresh air and enjoy the picturesque, natural landscape.
Westwood’s prosperity made it attractive to the City of Cincinnati. Passage of the :Lillard Law’ by Ohio legislators in 1893 enabled the City of Cincinnati to easily annex the Village of Westwood with four other outlying villages. Westwood officially became part of the city on May 8, 1896.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Norris Gamble (a few steps from this marker); Historic Westwood Town Hall (a few steps from this marker); Westwood Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Enoch Terry Carson (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Origins of Harvest Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Powhatan Beaty / Union Baptist Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mt. Airy Forest (approx. 2.7 miles away); Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.