Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Moulton in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Moulton

 
 
Old Moulton Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
1. Old Moulton Marker
Inscription.  

At this point was center of original town of Moulton (named, according to tradition, by a man from Moulton, Alabama). First postmaster was James Walker (1856). Town gained statewide fame for the Moulton Institute operated 1874-1895 by Melvin H. Allis, M. A., and wife, Thankful ("Aunt Thank"). On the faculty was an outstanding teacher of music, Miss Sallie McLean. In 1887, San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad built its line two miles to the east, so town gradually moved there. Old Moulton Cemetery is one mile to the southeast.

Erected 1970 by descendants and friends of the pioneer families
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3771.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 35.252′ N, 97° 10.59′ W. Marker is near Moulton, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1680 and County Highway 287, on the right
The Old Moulton Marker is on the right image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
2. The Old Moulton Marker is on the right
when traveling south on Highway 1680. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moulton TX 77975, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Moulton Baptist Church (here, next to this marker); Issaac D. Hamilton (approx. one mile away); Old Moulton Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Dr. Hugo J. Strieder (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sam and Will Moore Institute (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sam and Will Moore Institute Bell (approx. 1.8 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moulton.
 
Also see . . .  Moulton Male and Female Institute. The school offered a curriculum unequaled in South Texas. Included were reading from English primers to Virgil and Cicero in Latin, arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, surveying, astronomy, music, composition, and art. All subjects were necessary for graduation. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Old Moulton Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 2, 2021
3. The Old Moulton Marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021