Moravia in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Moravia General Store
Ignac (J.E.) Jalufka and Jakob Hollub brought their families to northern Lavaca County in 1874, followed by several other Czech families. Founded in 1881, Moravia was so named to honor Moravia, Czechoslovakia, the settlers' homeland. The first commercial structures here were a blacksmith shop, cotton gin, and school.
In 1889 Jalufka built a two-story frame saloon on this site. Grocery and mercantile supplies took up the rear half of the ground floor; the saloon was located in the front. The second floor served as a dance hall. Masquerades, seasonal celebrations and other events made it a popular gathering place for the entire community. From 1891 to 1900 Jalufka also was United States Postmaster for the area, operating the post office from his store.
The saloon was popular and successful until 1920, the year that J.E. Jalufka died and prohibition was passed into law. Agnes Jalufka inherited the business, and sold it to Annie Chromcak and Lillian Blahuta in 1922. Annie Chromcak sold her interest to Lillian and Frank Blahuta the following year. In 1930, a new dance hall was erected across the road. The second story was torn
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12020.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 29° 35.384′ N, 96° 59.099′ W. Marker is in Moravia, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 957 and County Highway 229, on the right when traveling north on Highway 957. The marker is located in front of the Moravia Store (one of the oldest country stores in Texas). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schulenburg TX 78956, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Moravia School (approx. 0.3 miles away); SPJST Moravia Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Site of Komensky School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Bermuda Valley Farm (approx. 6˝ miles away); Site of Former Town of LyonsCotton Grove Dance Floor & Store (approx. 7.1 miles away); St. James Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Turner Hall (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Moravia.
Also see . . .
1. Moravia, TX. Moravia was founded in 1881, when Ignac Jalufka and James Holub moved a preexisting store to the junction of three roads. The next buildings were a blacksmith shop, a gin, and a school. A post office operated in Moravia from 1882 to 1900. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Moravia Store celebrates 125 years and is still going strong. It seems that a lot of businesses nowadays enjoy touting themselves as being locally owned and operated – but few can brag that they are locally owned, operated, and have been in business for 125 years with only one brief interruption. The owners of Moravia Store can proudly make that claim. Source: TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.