Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Pelanconi House & Pelanconi Warehouse

La Casa y la Bodega Pelanconi

 

— El Pueblo de Los Angeles —

 
Pelanconi House & Pelanconi Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
1. Pelanconi House & Pelanconi Warehouse Marker
Inscription.  The Pelanconi Warehouse and, behind it, the Pelanconi House are reminders of the active wine-making community in the area, dating back to the mid 19th century. The Palanconi House was built by Italian vintner Guiseppi Covaccichi between 1855-57 and is the oldest house made of fired brick still standing in Los Angeles. Covaccichi and his partner, Guiseppi Gazzo, owned a winery located across Olvera Street.

The Pelanconi House changed hands four times until 1871, when it and the winery were purchased by Antonio Pelanconi from whom the house is named. In 1866, Penanconi, who came from the Lombardo region of Italy, married Isabel Ramírez, a daughter of Juan Ramírez, who owned much of what is now Olvera Street. In 1877, Pelanconi turned over the winery operation to his partner, Giacomo Tononi, and dies two years later. Isabel married Tononi in 1881. The Pelanconi Warehouse was built in 1910 by Lorenzo Pelanconi (son of Antonio and Isabel) and his mother for the storage of their wine.

Señora Consuelo Castillo de Bonzo took over the Pelanconi House for her restaurant, Casa de La Golondrina, in 1930. She removed the rear
La Casa y la Bodega Pelanconi Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
2. La Casa y la Bodega Pelanconi Marker
wall of both the warehouse and the Pelanconi House in order to make one large room for the restaurant. It is the oldest restaurant on Olvera Street.

(plaque opposite)
La Bodega Pelanconi, y detrás de ella la Casa Pelanconi, son un recuerdo de la activa comunidad vinatera del área, que se remonta hasta mediados del siglo 19. La Casa Pelanconi fue construida por el vinatero italiano Giuseppi Covaccichi entre 1855-1857, y es la casa de ladrillo horneado más antigua de Los Ángeles que todavía se encuentra en pie. Covaccichi y su socio, Guiseppi Gazzo, eran los propietarios de una vinatería que se localizaba enfrente de la Calle Olvera.

La Casa Pelanconi cambió cuatro veces de manos hasta 1871, cuando esta y la vinatería fueron compradas por Antonio Pelanconi, por el cual se dio el nombre a la casa. En 1866, Pelanconi, quien venía de la región de Lombardía en Italia, se casó con Isabel Ramírez, la hija de Juan Ramírez, quien era el propietario de gran parte de lo que es en actualidad la Calle Olvera. En 1877, Pelanconi cedió la operación de la vinatería a su socio, Giacomo Tononi, y falleció dos años mas tarde. Isabel se casó con Tononi en 1881. La Bodega Pelanconi fue construida en 1910 por Lorenzo Pelanconi (hijo de Antonio y Isabel) y su madre, para el almacenamiento de su vino.

En 1930, la Señora Consuelo Castillo de Bonzo se hizo cargo
Pelanconi House & Pelanconi Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
3. Pelanconi House & Pelanconi Warehouse Marker
de la Casa Pelanconi para su restaurante, Casa La Golondrina. Para poder hacer un gran comedor para el restaurante, removió las paredes traseras tanto de la Bodega como de la Casa Pelanconi. Es el restaurante más antiguo de la Calle Olvera.
 
Erected by El Pueblo de Los Angeles.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 34° 3.466′ N, 118° 14.291′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on North Main Street south of Cesar E. Chavez Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 628 N Main St, Los Angeles CA 90012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pelanconi Warehouse (here, next to this marker); Sepúlveda House (a few steps from this marker); Sepulveda House (a few steps from this marker); Hammel Building (a few steps from this marker); Pelanconi House (within shouting distance of this marker); Machine Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Sepulveda House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pure Water from Many Sources (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Los Angeles.
 
Also see . . .  Italians at the Pueblo. Excerpt from 2002 book
Pelanconi Warehouse Main Street Façade image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, December 4, 2018
4. Pelanconi Warehouse Main Street Façade
by Jean Bruce Poole. Here is a quote from the excerpt:
Antonio Pelanconi, a native of Gordona, Lombardia, arrived in Los Angeles in 1853. After trying other trades he associated himself with Gazzo and learned the wine-making business. He married Isabel Ramirez, whose father Juan owned a large part of what is now Olvera Street. Antonio purchased the building in 1871 and he and his wife and children lived there until his death in 1879. Antonio sold the winery to his partner Giuseppe Tononi in 1877 and in 1881 Tononi married Isabel, thus preserving the family heritage. Antonio and Isabel’s oldest son Lorenzo became involved in wine-making, and after Tononi died, Lorenzo took over the business.
(Submitted on January 22, 2021.) 
 
Pelanconi House Olvera Street Façade image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, January 4, 2021
5. Pelanconi House Olvera Street Façade
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 10, 2021, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   5. submitted on January 5, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021