San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Alamo 1900
After the Civil War, 1865 - 1876, the U.S. Army returned, renting the church, convento & galera from the Catholic Church for storehouses & offices. 1876-1900 was a period of rapid growth of large commercial building completely transforming the Alamo Plaza for all time.
1. Convento: Remodeled as a store in 1877 after Honore Grenet paid $20,000 to the church for the site. Elaborate wooden porches, fake towers added. Sold to Hugo and Schmelzer Store in 1884 for $28,000. Clara Discroll paid c. $75,000 to save it in 1904.
2. Church: After U.S. Army left, Mr. Grenet rented the church to use as a wine & liquor store. State of Texas paid Catholic Church $20,000 to save the old building in 1884, custody given to city, then, in 1915 Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
3. Galera: Old gate, barrack & jail demolished in 1871 as an “eye sore” by the city after paying $2,500 to the Catholic Church.
4. Park & Bandstand: In 1888 the formal park added.
5. Opera House: Built 1886
6. Maverick Bank: Ornate early 5 story “skyscraper”.
7. Maverick Land Office
9. Old Post Office: 18.. demolished for “new” Post Office in 1936. Human bones found during excavation of foundation.
10. Future site of Emily Morgan Hotel, built 1925.
Scale 1 inch:20 feet
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Military.
Location. 29° 25.555′ N, 98° 29.192′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is on Alamo Plaza south of East Houston Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alamo TX 78516, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Part of the San Antonio de Valero Mission (here, next to this marker); The Birthplace of Freemasonry in West Texas (here, next to this marker); Masonic Heroes of the Alamo (here, next to this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (here, next to this marker); The Alamo 1891 (here, next to this marker); The Alamo 1836-1846 (a few steps from this marker); Ruins of the Habitations of the Friars and Indians (a few steps from this marker); Adina de Zavala (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.