Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church

 
 
Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
1. Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  

This historic church, the oldest African American Baptist congregation in Brenham and one of the first in Washington County, has its origins in secret meetings held by runaway slaves and freedmen in the 1850s. After the Civil War, federal troops posted near this site in an area called Camptown. The presence of the 17th Infantry Division and an Office of the Freedmen’s Bureau ensured freedom of religious expression for emancipated blacks in Brenham. First Baptist Church of Brenham offered letters of membership to the freed blacks, but they wanted to form their own church. Mount Rose was formally organized in 1868, led by Rev. Joe Lawson and Rev. James McBride. When U. S. Troops left, their land was sold and proceeds divided between Mount Rose and St. John A.M.E. Churches. The church is named for Rose Armstead-Whitaker, a founding member who contributed much of her time and finances.

Good Hope Missionary Baptist District Association organized under a chinaberry tree on the present Mount Rose Campus in 1870. For several years, church services were held in brush arbors, in nearby homes, and finally, in the soldiers’ dining hall
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at Camptown. Mount Rose and St. John A.M.E. held services there on alternating Sundays. The first permanent sanctuary was built in 1874, under Rev. Alfred Parker’s tenure. Mount Rose joined the Lincoln District Baptist Association in 1878 and remained a member for more than 130 years. Mount Rose has enjoyed continuity in increasingly larger facilities on the same site since its organization. The two longest-serving pastors were Rev. Moses Johnson (1876-98) and Rev. J. Emerson Dennis (1946-97). The leadership and members of Mount Rose have made significant contributions to the religious, educational and social history of Brenham.
 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17618.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 30° 10.09′ N, 96° 23.303′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Kerr Street and Mangrum Street, on the right when traveling south on Kerr Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 Kerr Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Pickard High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Camptown Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct
Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
2. Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church and Marker
line); Brenham Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ross-Carroll House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Masonic Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Giddings Wilkin House Museum 1843 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Giddings-Wilkin House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Old St. Anthony Hotel (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
The view of the front of the Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 8, 2021
3. The view of the front of the Mount Rose Missionary Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=164472

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024