West Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Capitol Oak
A triple trunked live oak tree stood near the buildings which housed the House of Representatives and Senate. Tradition holds that the Texas Declaration of Independence was first read publicly under this tree causing it to also be called "Independence Oak" According to early resident Joseph P. Underwood, the three live oaks growing close together probably shared a common root system. Underwood said of the tree: "They were called and widely known as Austin's, Houston's and Lamar's trees and were held in profound veneration by all the people of the locality” There is much evidence that the overflowing population that came to Columbia in 0ctober of 1836 found a good night's sleep on the ground below this tree that blew down in the 1900 storm.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • War, Texas Independence.
Location. 29° 8.67′ N, 95° 38.821′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on East Brazos Avenue (State Highway 35) west of North 16th Street, on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. From Republic to Statehood (here, next to this marker); Religion in the New Capital (here, next to this marker); The Brazos River and the Steamboat Yellowstone (a few steps from this marker); Stephen Fuller Austin (a few steps from this marker); Columbia in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); Masons of the Republic of Texas (a few steps from this marker); Accomplishments of the First Congress (within shouting distance of this marker); Telegraph and Texas Register (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.